The EGLIBC is a variant of the GLIBC which stays source and binary compatible with the original GLIBC. While primarily targeted for embedded architectures, it has some really nice points:
- More friendly upstream (especially with regard to embedded architectures): “Encourage cooperation, communication, civility, and respect among developers” (as opposed to this).
- Stable branch with fixes for important bugs (a real one, not like the GLIBC one which is left unchanged).
- Better support for embedded architectures.
- Support for different shells (GLIBC only supports bash).
- Support for building with -Os.
- Configurable components (do we really need NIS or RPC support in debian-installer?).
- Better testsuite for optimized or biarch packages.
We do not use some of these features yet, but this upload is a first step. From the user point of view, the package names are unchanged (except the source package and the binary package containing the sources) so no transition is needed.